Thursday, January 19, 2012

tutorial: how to paint stripes on your wall or ceiling

image

i love striped walls. i love stripes in general, really. we’ve done stripes in our bathroom, the girls pink princess room, and a few other places in the past.

and when i saw the ceiling on my inspiration room with wide reddish/salmon-y and white stripes i knew i had to do it.

it can be daunting to do stripes, but we have a pretty simple system down-pat at this point.

you need two people, two tape measures, two pencils, a couple of rolls of frog tape or painters tape, and at least one ladder (if you’re doing walls, two for a ceiling. assuming one of you isn’t very, very tall. then you may not need any ladders.)

girls room_7918

 girls room_7920
girls room_7919
 girls room_7921
girls room_7922  girls room_7923

girls room_7926

 so there you have it. how to paint stripes, the easy (ha!) way.

girls room_7912 copy
girls room_7913
IMG_9027_8086
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. the stripes look perfect. now, how would i go about doing this on that ugly old popcorn ceiling? bleh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ewwww...popcorn ceilings :(
      yeah, I got nothin. sorry.

      Delete
  2. I was just about to comment that this is why popcorn ceilings are so awful. If we weren't renting I'd be scraping that stuff off pronto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them. I love them, I love them, I love them. I want to do stripes RIGHT NOW. I also want to paint a room these colors. Maybe I'll just copy everything you do exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look great. We are thinking of doing stripes in my daughter's room. I love the ceiling idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @darlene--what the landlord don't know won't hurt him (wink, wink!)

    @kimberly--that's cool. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? and let's face it...i didn't come up with any of these ideas on my own hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @stef--i've got stripes in a lot of rooms, but this was the first striped ceiling i've done. and i'm seriously in LOVE with it. so i say--GO FOR IT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the ceiling! And no way I can tell it's not perfect...it looks perfect to me. The entire room is an inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing your hard work, Shannon - it's an awesome room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks again for the feature roeshel! Y
      you're too sweet!

      Delete
  8. So beautiful...stripes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad I found this post.... I am doing stripes in my kitchen and was dreading how long it will take me to mark off all the lines with a ruler and tape measure.... blah! Now I will just be enlisting my husband once the kids are all in bed! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your ceiling is gorgeous - how fun it that??? I have this linked to my stripes project post too today, for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work ty for sharing your tips

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails