Wednesday, December 21, 2011

this is what crazy looks like

 IMG_8547_7738

didn’t see that one coming, didja?

probably you expected “crazy” to be less curtain-y and more…
crazy
okay, so i don’t know how to draw crazy. thankfully this is my blog, not the World Pictionary Championships.
cause if it was, and you were on my team, you’d probably be all cursing wiggly arm person! drunk person with head on fire! zombie girl in the snow! GAH! what iiiis it???? and i’d be like uhhh NO! can’t you tell crazy when you see it? i would never wear an a-line shift dress with a shape like this! that’s CRAZY!

(and do they even have World Pictionary Championships? because if they do i’m totally there)

but really, truly—i thought i may just lose my mind making these curtains. why?

because this is where i started:

IMG_8271_7440

one flat gray sheet, one flat white sheet, both twin size.

(or, actually, one fitted gray sheet because i grabbed the wrong one and didn’t realize it until i took this picture. boo.)

i whined about discussed my troubles finding reasonably priced gray and white striped curtains for the family room.
i was seriously considering the tape and paint solution that most people out there on the interwebs have used. but in the end even the $20-$40 that would have cost me proved too heavy for my pocketbook.
my final solution was simple: two $5 sheets from walmart, cut into strips and sewn back together.

4 curtain panels for $10.
it doesn’t get much easier or cheaper than that. straight lines all the way.

i laid the sheets out together and folded them in half, pinning liberally to keep it all in place.

IMG_8272_7441

i measured my sheets/curtains and divided. i wanted 5” stripes, so i cut 6” strips, giving myself a 1/2” seam allowance on either side.

IMG_8279_7448

it wasn’t until after i cut all my strips that i realized the undertaking i had just…undertaken.

IMG_8280_7449

(16 strips per curtain x 2 sets of curtains) x 2 sides to each strip + 4 long edges to hem =
FOUR HOURS OF SEWING

FOUR hours of chug chug chugging on my machine in completely straight boring lines, nary a curve or dart in sight to break up the monotony.

in other news: why don’t sewing machines have cruise control?

i sewed my single strips into sets of two, and pressed them all—ironing some pellon on all the seams because i didn’t want to line them (i like the translucent look the cheap cotton has. i was actually looking for even cheaper curtains with a lower thread count)

IMG_8282_7451

then i sewed my twos into fours, pressed and pelloned.

the fours into eights, pressed and pelloned.

the eights into sixteens, pressed and pelloned.

the two big sixteens into four big sixteens, pressed and hemmed.

after four hours i had four curtains.

ahhh the troubles i have. #firstworldproblems, anyone?

and then we decided they were too white.

IMG_8273_7442

the chair fabric going in front of the windows is more off white than crisp white.

enter the tea dye.

IMG_8274_7443

we did a test swatch:

IMG_8276_7445

and it was approved. not too different—just a subtle color change. so we moved on to the big tea bath.

IMG_8283_7452
IMG_8292_7456

and then they got rinsed in the washer, and hung to dry.

IMG_8295_7438

when i realized i had to iron them. again.
well, let’s just say it wasn’t pretty…
crazy
but you know? i kinda want to marry them (sorry babe)

IMG_8532_7723

IMG_8550_7741

not that i’m ready to do it again any time soon. but these curtains were kind of like having a baby…they’re so pretty to look at, i’m starting to forget the pain.

IMG_8546_7737

 IMG_8535_7726

they are NOT, however, easy to photograph. i got a lot of this:

IMG_8521_7712

which is dramatic and all…but not too helpful for actually showing the curtains. nevermind the imp hiding in the lower right corner.

eventually two chairs in our accent fabric will be in front of these windows. but for now it’s a good spot for our stuffed animal chairs to live.

IMG_8545_7736
IMG_8542_7733
gigi reads
IMG_8540_7731-1

comfy and just right for enjoying a favorite book.

can i just say it again—4 curtains, $10. TEN DOLLARS.
can’t beat that. not with a stick.

linking up here:
http://www.bluecricketdesign.net/








A Crafty Soiree




Somewhat Simple

Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Those look awesome! The extra step of the pellon at the seams makes them look so nice and finished. I would never have thought to use it that way but I am kind of new to the world of pellon and interfacings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're fabulous! I didn't really 'get' what you were saying when you said you wanted horizontally striped curtains but I TOTALLY get it now. Made of awesome (with a hint of crazy), those are.

    And here's how crazy *I* am: I looked at them and figured you french seamed them. Can you imagine? Very glad you used pellon instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. No, do you know what crazy is??? Crazy is reading this and understanding what you're saying and STILL WANTING TO DO THIS MYSELF. Because I do. So bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy looks GOOD on you, or at least your windows!

    I wish it looked as good on me, but hand sewing four curtain panels is apparently to much for me. Actually it's the ironing that is getting to me. I need to get over the it takes 30 minutes just to prepare a surface to iron on thing. Wanna be my cheerleader? Wink.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. @jenni-i didn't want to just leave raw edges--that wouldn't look pretty, and i'd be afraid it would fray in the wash...
    which leads us to..
    @darlene--the hubs wasn't "seeing" it at first either. but he gets it now too. and yes--my original plan was to french seam them. CAN YOU IMAGINE??? 8 hour curtains??? no way. i changed that plan super quick and went with the pellon.
    @kimberly--yes, that is crazy. but when you see the end result? and know they only cost $10...well, i can see why you're willing to join me in crazytown. plus, we have cookies.
    @haley--rah rah rah! gimme an "I", gimme an "R", gimme an "O", gimme an "N"! what do you get? IRON!!! you go girl!
    although...hand sewing? now that's a special brand of crazy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you I needed that! It is a certain kind of crazy, but I LOVE the fabric and I want to be able to rip seams without damaging the fabric if curtains don't work in a future place. Still an apartment dweller.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh your amazing honey!! I decided to stencil curtains...and about 4 weeks later the project still isn't done! Awesome job! Crazy isn't always a bad thing! Please come party with me over at Passionatelyperfect.com! Your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous!!! Want to make me some since you loved the process so much?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a FUN post, and your curtains are AMAZING!! Thrifty and Worth a little Crazy, I think ;) Thanks SO much for sharing them over at the Kiss & Tell party at my place!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just laugh every time I look at this and had to feature you right away over on my Facebook page!!! Thanks again for linking up to Kiss & Tell :)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Igottacreate/100573240032625?sk=wall

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE THESE CURTAINS!!! And I have used these very same sheets as liners for curtains I've made!! I can't wait to use them to make fabulous striped curtains for my living room!! And I love your tutorial... it's entertaining, very easy to follow and GREAT FUN!! Oh my goodness I'm so excited! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails