Monday, July 19, 2010

even kitchens get the blues

i am a one-woman renaissance.
truthfully? michelangelo has nuttin' on me.
i have single handedly brought about what will henceforth be known as
the great
play kitchen rebirth
2010


i bought my oldest daughter a little plastic play kitchen at a second hand store when she was about 15 months. it was $10.
up until a few months ago, it was still the play kitchen.
she is 10.
then we received a hand-me-down from a friend.


Photobucket
(you can see the old plastic kitchen in the background there. it's being relegated to the outside playhouse)


overall, a much nicer kitchen set. wood, sturdy, bigger. so i stuck it in the corner, baby bear was delighted, and i didn't really think about it too much.


sure, some of the handles were hanging off or completely off.


sure, the red/green/blue/white/wood color scheme was, how shall i put it, hideous not exactly complementary to my decorating style.


sure, i wish it was like this or this from Pottery Barn. but seriously, $700 for a toy? SRSLY?
then i had a "DUH" moment.


uh, hel-looo googiemomma! aren't you all BFF with spray paint? can this not be painted???


why yes, it can.


and here's how i did it.


first, emptied and wiped down each piece, removed the handles (the few managing to cling on still) and the plastic oven window.


okay, truth be told, also hunted around the house for the missing handles, which i knew were lurking SOMEWHERE.


once i had all my pieces rounded up and prepped, i gave all the brightest colored areas a coat of grey primer


Photobucket


then a coat of the same blue i used on my rooster lamp


Photobucket


and then another, and another, annnnddd another...and, after googiedaddy weed-wacked and it spit little pieces of grass all over the fronts of my drying appliances...another.


the knobs on the stove i taped off and hit with some metallic chrome spray paint, as well as all the handles.


(the sink was basically a plastic bowl, so first i sprayed it with white Fusion spray paint {the kind that bonds to plastic} and then used the metallic paint)


Photobucket
i know that you're jealous of my spray booth/bottom of the kiddie pool~i've said it before~no unitaskers in the googiehaus.


details i added with acrylic paint, like the stove burners


Photobucket


and with paint pens, like the knob details


Photobucket


and a little white detail on the fronts


Photobucket


at the end everything got a couple coats of clear acrylic sealer (which also muted the chrome spray paint. i'm not sure how i feel about that)



Photobucket


i'm completely loving it.


i love it's little retro vibe.


i love that my kids can't stop playing with it.


i love that they set their alarms to wake up early sunday morning to have more time to play with it.


i love that i made the practical decision to buy felt food from IKEA instead of trying to make it...because as much as i LOVE the food people make, and have bookmarked a million tutorials on how to do it, i just don't have the time/energy/desire.


Photobucket






Photobucket
apparently we cook panda around here.


action shot:


Photobucket


and one more because i was playing with photoshop:


Photobucket


for about $10 worth of spray paint and a couple bucks for new screws so that we can have a complete set of handles, i think it was totally worth it.


sushi, anyone?


Photobucket




Linking up at these fine parties!

UPDATE:
i'm also entering this in this week's
Visit thecsiproject.com
the theme is SPRAY PAINT!!!
although, the guest judges are from Krylon...and the metallic paint i used is rust-o-leum....
oh no, hope that doesn't count against me....
i swear~the blue paint was Krylon!!!!
Pin It!

40 comments:

  1. oh my goodness...this is ADORABLE! i'm really wanting to find a cute kitchen set for my sophia who is turning 2 next month. i've had my eye on craigslist with a project like this in mind! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute... I wish my kids would still play with a kitchen! Maybe this is one I'll have to save and do for the grandchildren! (A long time from now!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i found you on skip to my Lou and love what you have done with that kitchen, it's amazing how awesomely far the food and play kitchen designs have come since I was a kid;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um... I'd LOVE to have a kitchen like that and I'm 30!! (Is that bad?...)Great colors and beautifully executed. Just all round awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh this is amazing. I love the color. I also love the play sushi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did such a great job! I especially love all the paint pen details!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is SO great! awesome job and I am in love with the paint cover. from the girl creative...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up to TAke-A-Look Tuesday - I featured you today! - - Mandy, www.craftedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome job it looks great!

    OH AMEN TO THE FOOD!!! My husband calls on his way home from work and asks whats for dinner... I always say either I don't know what are you making or takeout.... I have no desire to cook...

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks so much everyone! i appreciate all your kind comments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK...I haunt these little craft link parties from time to time but must say that not only is your project just rockin' but your commentary had me grinning!

    Great post...Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. SOOOOOOOOO cute! Found you over @ Fingerprints on the fridge and so glad I did. Nice to "meet" you!

    Lots of love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am totally blown away! This is SO stinking cute! I love those duh! moments when you realize you can spray paint something. I've had them too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen lots of play kitchen makeovers but this one is my favorite! I love the blue paint and the retro vibe. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You turned that from cute to fabulously cute!! I want one for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great idea...when I get tired of the current pink kitchen I can do it in aqua! Maybe my girls will like it better! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE that robins egg blue!

    Becky
    mrsbettierocker.blogspot.com

    visiting from Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots & Jello

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's amazing! It's so so cute! I want one now, and I only have boys. Boys need to learn to cook and clean, right?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Take THAT Pottery Barn! Yours looks great. Love the color. And I'll have to give the metallic spray paint a try. It looks really good and I have a few pieces to add a little sparkle to.

    I’m having a new link party “Cheap Thrills Thursday” starting the 29th. It’s for creative ideas that cost under $20. I’d love for you to stop by and join in!
    Kat
    www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. You had me crackin up! HAHA. Your writing is so fun!

    This is yet another project that is way too fabulous. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for any old wood kitchens begging for a make over! :)

    I am your newest 92 follower. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH.MY.GOODNESS. Those miniature appliances are to die for! I love the aqua/turquoise you chose! They look amazing, simply amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness...WAY cuter now! ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow how beautiful it turned out,love this one
    hugs
    Shahana

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing transformation!! I agree with you about the PB kids kitchen $700, I mean COME ON!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is absolutely one of the best kitchens I've seen! I'm sure you've heard this a bajillion times before, but you should re-do to sell also!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for linking up to the “Cheap Thrills Thursday” party at Black Kats Design. I hope you had fun and will join in again next Thursday!

    Kat
    www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so cool! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Okay, I totally love the blue. I'm thinking my two boys could play for hours cooking and making stuff in this fancy kitchen. Great redo for cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so fun. It made me smile. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, that turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh...em....gee...that is awesome! I love the retro vibe too. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. GORGEOUS!! It is really SO adorable. Great choice with the turquoise!

    ReplyDelete
  33. THIS is just absolutely and completely ADORABLE. It's so FUN looking that I want to play with it! Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awesome redo! I think my son might need a play kitchen. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Do I love this? Oh yes I do! What a terrific job you did!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this! The blue spray paint made everything wonderful! I loved the little white border, it makes it very dainty. I have a thousand felt food tutorials bookmarked too! I would probably just buy IKEA food, I'm lazy! haha.

    Stopping to show a SITS girl some love!

    xx Cris

    ReplyDelete
  37. I LOVE it!
    We have tons of MDF in our garage and your ideas inspire me with colors and details! What kind of knobs are they for front of the stove? Do they turn or not? Sorry for asking too many questions!

    I can't wait to get started for our granddaughter who just turned 1!
    Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. all i can say is: wow! good call!

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails