Tuesday, May 11, 2010

the one in which i paint a rooster...

I browse other blogs (surprise) and am constantly amazed when I read things other ladies write about their husbands. Things like: "I brought this home, and my hubby was like 'why would you buy that trash!?!?!?" or "DH said 'I hope you didn't pay money for that!'"


Because in the googie house it's a little different.


When I mentioned to googiedaddy that I had seen a hideously tacky rooster lamp at the thrift shop and didn't buy it, his reaction was more along the lines of: "Are you crazy??? Kids, get in the car now--we have to get to the thrift shop before someone buys our rooster lamp!!!"


(those of you who know us know this to be the absolute unvarnished truth)


So I kicked myself for not grabbing it the first time, and back we went.


Prepare to be insanely jealous, but for the children's sake try to not let it show:


Photobucket


Photobucket


Seriously, how could I pass this up the first time around???


And wait until you see the price tag:


Photobucket


Yup, $4.99.
Granted, it doesn't work (notice the lack of a cord~~looks like someone cut it off at the base), but that is easily remedied (I think...I have vague recollections of replacing the insides of a lamp in 9th grade Industrial Arts Class. I figure a little google-ing and a trip to Home Depot should fix me right up)


Of course, once I embarked on my Rooster Transformation Project, I forgot all about taking pictures. So you get a wordy explanation, followed by end result pics.

First off, two nice coats of gray primer. Then, three-ish coats of Ocean Breeze spraypaint.


Then I let that stew a bit whilst I contemplated the shade. I really wanted to try something like the pleated lampshade done by burlap + blue. But you know how those roosters are~~they're a proud lot. My blue rooster just wasn't feeling a lampshade that might try to edge in on his glory.


So I went with something simpler~just covered the shade in the same fabric that's been making an appearance through my entire home because I have so stinkin' much of it :0) Because it's that typical 'smaller on the top' shade, I folded some deep box pleats into it to take up the extra fabric. It was all done with hot glue (shocking, I know)


And here he is:


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


You love him, don't ya? You want him, don't ya? TOO BAD! He's MINE!!!!

He's sitting on a table from Ikea that was black with silver legs, which I sprayed white. And he's next to my framed nest project. But I'll probably move that, cause it's a little to "theme-y" for me. I think my rooster can stand on his own. hehehe

Linking up here:

Show and Tell Green

HookingupwithHoH
Transformation Thursday




giveaways



Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!





Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

and Frugalicious Friday at http://decormamma.blogspot.com/
Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. you really have vision, I wouldn't have given that rooster a second look, but he turned out great! And yeah, the eggs with the rooster is a little "themey", besides they look like Robin's eggs.;)-T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! Good eye! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job!!you know what they say....every house should have a well placed rooster.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry if I would've read a little closer I would've seen about the paint!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great! So fresh! I think that's hilarious about your husband! :) I'm convinced my husband wants our house to look like a bachelor pad because he hates when I bring new things into the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. he's fabulous. i can't wait until i complete my makeover of my great grandmother's kickass panther lamp with this fantastic cascading metal shade.

    i love random animals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out great!!!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and making my SITS day so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! This turned out so great! I love the color of paint you used it gave it a new life!!

    ~Morgan

    Meet Virginia!
    Meet Virginia!
    Meet Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my first guest post today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great choice of color! Looks so much better and up to date!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this turned out simply gorgeous!! I love roosters!! And your husband sounds just like mine. I think he's a bigger shopper than me!!! Thanks for sharing and have a fabulous weekend!
    ~Alison
    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dang girl - I never would have imagined that rooster would look so cute in blue!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cool funky lamp - and I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is super-cute - great husband you've got...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like this, but, will all the detail it'd be AWESOME with some glazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i was thinking "did she paint it black? white? red maybe?" you keep me on my toes, blue! never would have guessed blue. i LOVE it. it's hideous + hilarious = genius = you

    (i hope you take that as a good thing, it's a good thing googs!)

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails