Thursday, May 13, 2010

Fabric Hanging Wall Files Tutorial

Here it is~~a tutorial for the hanging wall pockets/files I made for the hallway to help organize my kids' schoolwork.

To see the whole hallway redo post, click HERE!


Photobucket


Fortunately I have 4 children, because it took me all four times to figure out the best way of making these!


Photobucket


They aren't difficult once you get the hang of it, I was able to whip up the last one in about 15 minutes (not counting cutting the fabric)


I tried to make this as easy to follow as possible (including my awesome drawings and arrows on the photos). But if you have any questions, just ask! I'm happy to help.


Here we go...


First, your supplies:


Photobucket


Fabric dimensions: (in case you hate my drawings)
(2) backer pieces 11"x14"
(2) pocket body pieces 9"x12"
(2) pocket bottom pieces 2"x12"
(4) pocket side pieces: cut them 9" long, 3" wide at the top and 2" wide at the bottom and draw an angle line to match those two short sides (see my mad awesome drawing above)
ribbon or bias tape
(3) pieces of cardboard approximately the same sizes as your backer piece, pocket body and bottom piece

You'll also need a disappearing or water soluble fabric pen.

Note: ***I used a 1/4" seam allowance on all pieces***


Sewing Instructions:


1. Take two of your side pieces and sew them on either end of one of the bottom pieces, creating one long section like so:


Photobucket


Do the same with the other 2 side pieces and bottom piece so you have two long pieces.


2. Take both those long pieces, match up the seams and sew them wrong sides together down the straight edge:


Photobucket


Turn right side out and press.


3. Take your smallest piece of cardboard and fit it in the center (bottom opening). Make sure the cardboard fits tightly end to end, but leave room to sew a seam on the long edge.


Sew along the long edge to lock the cardboard in place.


Photobucket


4. Now you are going to sew this one long piece you've created to the pocket body. Take both pocket body pieces (you don't have to attach them to each other first unless you want to) and match it to the raw edges of your long side/bottom/side piece (not the side you already sewed closed). Line up the top edges, corners to corner seams, and sew right sides together.


Sewn:


Photobucket




And flipped right side out:


Photobucket

I didn't do anything to the inside seams to finish them off because I'm lazy like that :0) You could serge them or zigzag stitch them if you're more motivated than me...

5. Now we're going to attach the pocket we've made to the backer piece. You could measure this...again, I'm lazy so I basically just eyeballed it.

I came up about 1 1/4 inches from the bottom, layed (laid? laying?) the pocket on one of the backer pieces and traced all the way around.

Lay the pocket piece right sides together with the backer and stitch along the bottom like so:

Photobucket

6. Flip the pocket up and top stitch the sides down along the lines you drew.

Photobucket

7. Take your second backer piece and lay it on top, making a little sandwich with the pocket piece in the center. Sew down one side, across the bottom and up the other side (leave the top open). Turn it right side out (it may take a little maneuvering because of the cardboard piece in the bottom--just try not to make any creases in it)

Photobucket

8. Now you need to fit your cardboard pieces in the pocket front and backer. The tighter you can fit the cardboard, the more professional and nice looking your end product will be.


Start with the pocket piece. Put the cardboard in and run a line of stitches across the top to hold it in place. Then you're going to apply the ribbon or bias tape to cover the opening.


Here's how I did it: sew the ribbon to the top edge, right sides together. Then fold the ribbon over, enclosing your raw edges and top stitch.

Photobucket



Photobucket


Then do the same thing on the backer piece: fit the cardboard in nice and snug, and close the opening with ribbon or bias tape.


Photobucket

Photobucket

PHEWWW!!! We made it! Really, it's not nearly as difficult as it seems from this tutorial. I confused myself I think! But once you get the idea, you can crank these babies out no problem!


If you have one of those punches to put grommets in I think that would look cute on top. I simply screwed through the top to attach them to the wall--I plan on hot gluing some buttons on to cover the screws.

Photobucket

Also, you can leave the front cardboard out if you want. It makes it a little easier to sew up. The wall pocket to the far right in the above picture has no cardboard in the front.


That's it! If you make any of these please let me know--I'd love to see them! And again, if you have any questions please ask and I'll do my best to help out.

Linking up here:


Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!






Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

and Frugalicious Friday @ Decor Momma
Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. I love this idea--not just the pockets, but the whole concept of the pictures, hooks, and is that a little chalkboard over each kid's folder? Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!! I don't like when paper's from school take over my kitchen area. Pretty and functional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a genius! If only my hallway looked this nice :) Thanks for sending me the verse translation! Definitely my favorite part of your hallway. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks gals!
    @Beth~yup, I did a little chalkboard paint over each kid's spot~the perfect place for their chore list or little reminders!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are sooooo amazing...lovin' the idea!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of your hallway. What a great idea for each child to have his or her own space!

    Stopping by from SITS! Welcome!

    Cheers :-)
    - CoconutPalmDesigns

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so organized! Great tutorial! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so smart and unique! I've never seen anything like this before. Their photos, a file and a hook!

    Thanks for stopping by from the SITS sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a clever and creative girl. My heart is going pitty pat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing project! Love this. So clever and creative! Great sewing tutorial too! Thanks so much for joining The Sunday Showcase Party. I greatly appreciate it! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woa ~ love how the WHOLE thing looks. It's awesome. I don't know if I could tackle these, but I'm bookmarking it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous idea! Your hallway look great! The folders are super cute! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's gorgeous! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. amazing in every way... TOTALLY LOVE IT! the paint job too, is FAB. WAY TO GO! jENN

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the most awesome project ever! Thanks for the inspiration!

    BTW, your hallway looks FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE IT. Thanks for sharing. I saw this on a link up and then could not find it again. So glad I did.

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails