Thursday, July 26, 2012

summer beauty

+++THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! THANKS TO ALL WHO ENTERED!+++

I'm 32 years old. I have five children. I think I can reasonably be called an adult.
And yet every time my mom sees me rub my eyes she yells at me: Don’t rub your eyes! That skin is very delicate! Do you want to get wrinkles?

This tells me a couple of things:
1.) Your mom is ALWAYS your mom, no matter how old you are.
2.) Your mom is a great source of beauty advice ... even if she’s yelling it at you.

With this in mind I sat down with Guinevere to talk about beauty-related things. A couple of weeks ago she asked me about wearing makeup. I helped her pick out some light lip gloss and clear brow tamer/mascara (my girls got their daddy’s eyebrows … those things NEED some taming).
But there’s so much more to beauty than just makeup, particularly in the summer.

IMG_1144

We spend a LOT of time outside in the sun during the summer -- at the park, at the beach, in the yard, riding bikes. and now that Guinevere is getting older, there’s more involved than just letting mom slap 50 SPF on her wiggly body.

So we sat down to talk, and I asked if she had any questions for me. This is what she came up with:

Guinevere: Did you ever have any problems? Or have anything go wrong during the summer?

Well, the number-one thing I can think of is my skin. Everyone should wear sunscreen all the time, but as a fair-skinned redhead it’s like quadruple important for me! And as a hard-headed teenager there were plenty of times I skipped the lotion at the shore. I wanted to be like all my tan friends -- and I PAID THE PRICE, BIG TIME. I remember getting burned one time so badly that it peeled within a couple of hours. That is SOOOO bad. Now that I’m older I’m nervous about skin cancer and wrinkles and all the damage I did to myself. STUPID STUPID! So my advice to you: Wear SUNSCREEN! Trust me, it's worth it! Fortunately all you kids are blessed with your grandmother’s skin -- not the fair redhair-type skin. But the advice still applies!

IMG_1046See, now I have to do crazy stuff to try and repair the damage!

G: What sort of things should you NEVER EVER do in the summer?

Well, obviously never skip the sunscreen. Definitely take showers as often as necessary, but not more often than necessary, if that makes sense. Like, if you’ve been sweating and gross, definitely take a shower to clean up and so you don’t break out. But don’t just shower if you’re hot or bored—too much will dry out your skin and you’ll break out from that too!

G: Any other beauty tips for me?

Oh -- this is important! Sometimes all the shaving we do in summer can irritate the skin -- especially in the bikini area. So after I shave I use a little bit of witch hazel on a cotton ball to sooth any sensitive areas.
The other important thing is to use a good, sharp, clean razor! We’re still loving the Venus Embrace razor. It has five blades for a close shave, and the moisture ribbons around the blades help minimize nicks and cuts, which are never fun! Venus has some more great tips about shaving on their website.


Oh and of course: DON’T RUB YOUR EYES! Do you want to get wrinkles? Hahaha!
But really, don’t rub your eyes.

This was fun! Entering this new stage with you, Guinevere, is so exciting to me! Plus I’m loving all the mommy and me time we spend together -- like last week when we did home pedicures together sitting on the edge of the tub!

Untitled
looks like it’s time for a new one!

And to the rest of you: What’s the best beauty tip you have shared with your daughter to prepare her for the summer? Or share your funniest beauty mishap for the chance to win a $50 Visa gift card! Personally, I’d love to hear all the funny mishaps, because I like to laugh

Rules:
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
a) Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
b) Tweet about this promotion and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
c) Blog about this promotion and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
d) For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.

This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. You have 72 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.

The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 7/26 - 8/23.

Be sure to visit the Venus brand feature page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ reviews and find more chances to win!
Have you checked out the Life Well Lived section of BlogHer.com? There are some great tips and expert posts on everything from Looking Your Best to Getting Happy and Getting Organized
Pin It!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails