Sunday, May 9, 2010

Dontcha wish your hallway was hot like mine?

Now that I have three kids in school, I've found myself many days drowning in papers--papers to keep, papers to sign, papers to trash, papers to wait until the kids aren't looking and trash, papers to show googiedaddy when he gets home, papers to fill out...all times 3. Three kids throwing things at me that require my attention. Also: three school bags, three lunch boxes, three schedules that include library books to return, and always the papers. ahhh! the papers!


Photobucket
(source)

So I decided I needed to get a handle on it all. The back hallway would become command central--a spot for each kid's schoolbag, a slot for them to put their papers requiring my attention, a place to jot reminders, etc.


(The back hallway could use some attention anyway.)


Ok, deep breaths here. I'm about to reveal something horrible. This is what I started with:


Photobucket


Talk about airing dirty laundry. That is literally dirty laundry. Right there, in all its dirty glory. And now I've posted it on the interweb for all eternity, for all the world to see. (sorry, Mom)


Here's the deal: this opening was the original front door of the house. 5 years ago we expanded--this hallway now leads from the kitchen to the laundry room, back entrance to the family room, and the googieparent's room. It's prime location but small space. No windows, and unfortunately it's got some other issues, namely: no trim, holes in the sheetrock from bathroom work on the other side of the wall, some rather ugly "high-hat" or "pot" lights because we were in that phase when we built. Those things I can do nothing about, so for the purposes of this makeover, we're just going to pretend they don't exist, 'kay? 'Kay.


First, I emptied the space. Ah, better already :0)
I decided to use the paint colors from the kitchen for a few reasons:

1. I had them on hand. (cheep cheep said the birdie)
2. The hallway is most visible from the kitchen
3. the rooms coming off the hallway are painted pink, green, blue, and orange. The pale yellow and off white of the kitchen seemed the most neutral choice so as to prevent color overload and subsequent blindness.


I gathered all the appropriate supplies:

Photobucket

Paint brush and paint stirring "stick". (umm, that really shouldn't be in quotes. It really is a stick. Not a "stick". I hate inappropriate use of quotation marks. grrrr)


Photobucket

Paint can opener/dog nail clippers
Like Alton Brown, I have no uni-taskers. Everything is a multitasker in the googie house.


Paint applied:


Photobucket
(don't forget, we agreed to ignore those gaping holes and lack of baseboard, right?)


I wanted some hanging wall files for the kids' papers. The ugly plastic ones you can buy at office supply stores are...well, ugly. I found some cute fabric ones at both Walmart and Target, but they were $15 each. So I decided to make my own.


Photobucket


(if you're good I may post a tutorial on these!)


(actually just if you want me to I will. i'm easy like that)
Tutorial done: How to make your own hanging wall filey pocket thingers!


Then I got busy with the chalkboard paint. A rectangle for each kid, and one on the opposite wall for balance. Some cheap cork tiles, and I moved all my family pics to the back wall.


Final hallway result????
TA-DA:


Photobucket


Photobucket




Photobucket


I handpainted a scripture in French on the wall with the pictures.

(Edit: The scripture is Ephesians 3:14&15, which, for those of you who aren't Bible readers {or are too lazy to get up from the computer and look it up} reads in English: "On account of this I bend my knees to the Father, to whom every family in heaven and on earth owes it's name.")


Photobucket


How much insanely better is that?? Huh? HUH????


Can a hallway be your most favorite room in the house?


Oh, what's that? You want to see a close up of some of those super-fly family photos??? Okay, I'll indulge you...


Photobucket

Top: googiemomma's parents' wedding day, 1975
you love that bowtie, dontcha???

Bottom: googiemomma, her brothers, parents & dog, 1996
red hair anyone?

i'm adding this post to:
Visit thecsiproject.com
Linking up here:

The Girl Creative





Making

Show and Tell Green

HookingupwithHoH

Transformation Thursday




giveaways
Pin It!

29 comments:

  1. hallway looks great! one question why does your son have a pink bookbag? (tee hee) and thanks for posting MY family's pic on the web for all to see! (nah I really don't mind)-T

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the coolest hallway EVER! I have 4 kids in school and know exactly what you mean about papers everywhere! Just this morning I found out I threw one away that was needed for school--oops! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fabulous! I really should get myself a little more organized with the kids school things. I too, am drowning in papers!

    Welcome to SITS! It's great to have you in the SITStahood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for managing all that paper! Love your gallery. With no more kids at home I turned our hallway into the family photo gallery and it's the first place everyone goes to check out when they come home. Love the French phrase, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SOOOO with you on papers, and not just school papers. My husband is horrible with mail and papers are the ONE THING I have not seemed to be able to conquer. I would love your tut, those files are THE BEST!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the pictures and LOVE the stripes! I'd love for you to link this uphttp://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/2010/05/sundae-scoop-favs-link-party-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is soooo cool!! It looks really, really good!!

    Howdy from the SITs Welcome Wagon:-) I hope you enjoy the party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks great! I love the stripes and the wall files turned out great!!! Love it!

    I have transition pieces missing in my house, so I understand about the baseboards. Oh well.

    So glad you stopped by my blog! Sooo nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome hallway makeover! Have to admit I'm so terribly curious, though... what does the verse say? Translation pretty please :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG.. like, why can't you be my neighbor?? I need some design inspiration.. and some crafting ability.. okay, and a WHOLE lot of motivation. This chair is just SooOOoO comfy!

    Love, love, love your new hallway!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great transformation! just stopped by from SITS to say hi; hope you will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that looks amazing! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the hallway looks beeuutttiiffuull. Those pictures are two of the worst ever... Googiemammas mama

    ReplyDelete
  14. How awesome! Do your kids read french?

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE this idea!! I'm definately going to use it!! Papers are my enemy! This will be perfect for the organization I lack!!
    Thank you. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hopped on over here from Somewhat Simple, but you can bet I'll be back for a tutorial on those file hangers! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love those stripes! yay for getting organized..looks fabulous! thanks for stopping by my blog today :) and yeah i love our ikea cabinets and countertop..ive been so happy with them..in our next house we are going to put in the really dark ones...they are my new fav! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I'm going to come back here for awhile to just get that nice, calm, zen feeling. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your hallway looks great! It makes me wish I had a back hallway to do that to!!! (Actually, just any hallway would be cool, even a front one, but no such luck.)
    Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I saw this post featured on Making the World Cuter and think this is fantastic! I have four boys and have tried many ways to "make a place" for their backpacks and jackets for school where they aren't "out of sight, out of mind" - This hallway may just have to be one I "copy" Thanks for sharing!
    PS - Due to the feature, I've become a follower! I love ispiration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome idea to tame the paper monster!! Love your hallway!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely wonderful! I love everything about it, but possibly the quote painted on the wall the most ... it's all terrific, though!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks great! I know exactly what you mean about all the "paper"! Came over from the CSI project!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your hallway is amazing. What a great way to keep it all together and organized!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow this is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You hand painted that verse! It is so beautiful! What an artist spirit you have, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this! My hallway is exactly the same as yours with the front door looking straight down the hall as your picture shows. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails