the final scarf in my scarf-a-lot triumvirate is a pattern i wrote. like i mentioned yesterday, i pick the yarn based on the person i’m doing the project for. and this scarf was for my mom—a bulky weight mustard yellow is perfect.
the problem was i had no pattern in mind, and a frustrating and fruitless search of ravelry, plus five or six different patterns started and then frogged led me to start thinking this wasn’t going to work. i like the look of bulky yarn, but i didn’t want something overly bulky if that even makes any sense.
so i finally scrapped all the pattern hunting, thought about what I wanted this to look like, and began crocheting.
i’m pretty stoked by the result. (yeah, i said stoked. so what)
it’s crocheted lengthwise, done in all half-double crochet, with some skipped stitches forming a subtle open diamond pattern to give it some interest.
at the very end i had a smidgen of yarn left, and squeezed out the little button tab closure as an added element for one side.
now here’s where i would share the pattern i wrote, because i was smart and efficient and took notes while i crocheted.
okay, so here’s where i would share the pattern i wrote, because i took pictures and worked up a sample and wrote it down later.
DOUBLE HA HA!
yeah…i tried to do that, but i realized there was a big error in my pattern. which may explain why i kept wrestling with last rows trying to keep my diamond pattern lined up. i’m not giving up…i’d like to make myself one of these. and when i get the pattern nailed down i’ll be back to share.
in the meantime, i feel so bad…
oh hey! bonus! it’s awkward me, modeling the cowl before handing it off to my momma…