Monday, October 10, 2011

one brown skirt

i have skirt issues.

not “i’m skirting issues,” (although i do tend to do that) i really have problems with the clothes for my lower half.

namely: my lower half is a bit, um, rounder than it was about, er, 13 months ago.
so many of my skirts don’t. quite. fit.

thus: skirt issues.

but the bigger problem here is shoes. because like many women, i have a large collection of them, and without the right skirt to coordinate—they sit, gathering dust.

so sad.

confession time: i wear my heels longer than i probably should when i’m pregnant. and when i get too swollen and unwieldy to trust myself teetering around on a 4” heel, i’m

so
  s
     a
       d

:(

i spend the rest of my pregnancy sighing and gazing wistfully at my pretty, pretty shoes. and then {responsibly} putting on my comfy, supportive, safe flats.

feet don’t have a fat day. feet look pretty, even when you don’t feel so hot.

slip on a pair of open toed slingbacks, and the world is your oyster.

feeling down? those shiny red platforms with a stack heel will cure what ails ya.

in a leopard print kitten heel, i AM marilyn monroe.

a salon pedicure is like balm to my soul.

amiright ladies? can i get an amen?
and these shoes…

IMG_7504_6872

needed a skirt. 

 IMG_7503_6871

they needed out of the closet. they needed to
                                                    breeeeathe

but they couldn’t. because i had no skirt to match.
the solution?

one. brown. skirt.

IMG_7518_6875

i admit, when i head into the fabric store all my worst magpie tendencies surface.

i see a shiny pretty fabric and it’s in my cart so fast my head spins.
but this time—this time, i was strict with myself.

IMG_7520_6877

i did things i never, well hardly ever, do—i checked fabric content. i squished the fabric up to see how it wrinkled. i looked for a touch of spandex for a nice fit. i stuck to a simple dark chocolate brown.
and then…

IMG_7521_6878

i used a pattern.

IMG_7527_6882

SHUT.UP.

sure, when i say “i used a pattern”, that’s to be taken with a grain of salt. i play fast and loose with the rules of pattern following. i added french seams, i subtracted the waistband, i deleted the gored panel pieces.
and then i did a photo shoot with guinevere, trying to look as skinny as i possibly could.

IMG_7542_6891

how’s that?

but it doesn’t really matter. because even if i’m not completely happy with my belly (that carried 5 babies), or my, ahem, “girls” (that help give my baby chubby, chubby thighs), or my arms (strong enough too hug my googies)…

i still have my one brown skirt.
and with it,

IMG_7544_6893

i have my shoes.




linking up here:
Transformation Thursday


giveaways

HookingupwithHoH

 

Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. I second that! Love that fall outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDE: Those shoes are fierce! And the skirt is awesome: you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you. And those shoes. And the skirt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn.... those shoes are great and so is the new outfit! You are so right, sometimes it is the little things like shoes, or a special necklace that makes all the difference in how you tackle the day. Things that make you smile, like those fabulous shoes, should be worn/used/ect. even if it's for five minutes while you are vacuuming or hanging a picture!

    By the way, you look great!

    Haley @thedistractedblogger

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are gorgeous! Love the skirt, love the attitude, love the kid on the sidewalk in the background. LOL! Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  6. great story (that's what it felt like reading it, and i love that!) those are some snazzy, snazzy shoes, but kitten heels is a stretch. those heels are too high for me, but man they look good. i always feel like i can't do dark tights and skirts, although they look great on other people. when i put something like that on, i feel like it's too dark on my lower half and looks bad. ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the skirt...and from the girl who is still sitting in her pjs in the middle of the afternoon...you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jazzz (Fashion Designer)11/3/11, 6:07 PM

    You should try empire waist skirts or flirt a-line's they would look absolutely gorgeous on you! and perfect with your freckles (which i love!) sorry if you hate them! lol

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails