Wednesday, February 16, 2011

whooo, me?

i admit it.

in case you haven’t noticed, i’m a complete pushover for my kids.
especially that little one.

when i walk into the fabric store…well, let’s just say my defenses are already down. and when she starts bouncing in the cart because she sees “whoo-whoo favricks”…you know what’s coming.

IMG_4555_4251_edited-1
1 yard whoo-whoo favricks, in my cart.

although, not to justify or nothin’…but she does need some winter dresses, AND it is an adorable corduroy fabric, AND it was on sale thankyouverymuch.

so there.

anyway…the brown floral/paisley fabric is something i had in my stash. i hemmed and hawed because—truth be told—i’m pretty bad at mixing prints. i think it’s an incredible talent when people can do it well, but i tend to stick with solid color accents. in the bird world, i’m more of a chicken than a wise owl.
but then i decided to just go for it.

a simple a-line jumper…
IMG_4614_4304 
peek-a-boo!

with a contrast band at the bottom…
IMG_4606_4296

contrast bias tape on the neck and armholes…

IMG_4604_4295



i cut extra width in the front, which i pleated right in the center before attaching my bias tape. i ironed a little piece of pellon on the backside to help the pleats stay in place.
and since i’ve admitted my troubles with pattern coordinating, can we talk for a minute about those buttons? yup, more pattern. picked by little old me. look at me go, all branchin’ out and whatnot.

i used them again on the two front pockets
IMG_4603_4294

the back has a simple zipper, and because i ended up with too much width in the back (it was looking like one of those art smocks we used to wear in elementary school) i threw two darts in on either side… (haha...mental image of me throwing darts at her dress. yeah, i sewed darts in)

IMG_4602_4293 

i love it. she loves it. enough said.

however…there is more to be said. (of course)


so you know that as soon as i told little bear i was going to take her picture in her whoo-whoo dress, she came running over looking for her spider. i’m not joking.

apparently mommy makes dress + mommy takes pictures = spider time! in her world.

since there were no miniscule spiders to be found, she decided it was time to do a puzzle. i guess little bear’s idea of cooperating during a photo shoot is to assume a hunched over position, thus ensuring no very few good shots of the actual dress.

to wit:
IMG_4607_4297
(i call this "are those your knees under there or did you suddenly hit puberty?"

IMG_4608_4298
IMG_4610_4300
IMG_4612_4302   
IMG_4613_4303
“i all done. time-a do puddle.”

stinkin’ 2 year olds.
IMG_4617_4307 
“whooo, me?”





this post brought to you as day 3 of:
Photobucket

and, i'm linking up here:


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Love the shot of her piggy toes in the red shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun dress! The fabrics/buttons go so well together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg! she is adorable! Love the jumper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving these fabrics together-perfect! and I love me a good pleat. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so impressed! That's simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You stopped by my bloggy and commented once and so I decided to do the same.

    I'm trying to be mature here, but seriously, your posts about the Whoo-Whoo's are killing me! (with laughter of course). Because Whoo-Whoo is what I call my....well....you know. Whoo-Whoo!

    ha ha ha...Yes, I'm almost 40. I should grow up by now.

    Off to read...and giggle...some more

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've really enjoyed your owly projects. this one is fantastic. funny how it's similar (but imo, way more adorable) than the tunic dress i shared. the owl factor. the little pockets. the buttons on the pocket.

    the contrast at the hem is gorgeous, as is your little model. where you find the energy to do all this is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. holy stinking adorable!

    (And, ack! I'm screwed.) No wait, THAT'S not smack talk... uh... um... I can make a headband out of a zipper? Yeah. So there.

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails