Tuesday, January 18, 2011

warm fuzzies, two ways

the entire northeast is being blanketed in snow and freezing rain this morning.

it’s cold and wet and miserable outside.

the three oldest googies have a 2 hour delay at school.

but it’s okay, because

IMG_4460_4139

the entire googie clan is being blanketed in warm and fuzzy fleecey jammies.

something i love to do is let each googie pick out a fleece they love at the store. i use it to make giant blanket sleepers for them. cause, let’s be honest here~~even i would wear a blanket sleeper if they came in maternity sizes.

but this fleece has been sitting for…um…quite a while. so we compromised. we’re going with the easier pants and top, which the momma can get done with a lot less thinking.

last night i whipped out the pants.

IMG_4462_4141

for girlfriend girl: owls with a contrast band of orange (from a shirt grabbed out of the thrift pile)

IMG_4469_4148
(and a goofball sister sticking her head in)

for little man: phillies, with rib knit cuffs at the bottom (shocking i know. what can i say? the boy’s a phanatic)
IMG_4468_4147
(aaannndd…a goofball sister sticking her head in)

for tiny tim: turtles, with just a loose hemmed bottom (and rather psychedelic turtles at that)
(which i forgot a picture of…probably because i was so busy telling her to GET OUT OF THE WAY)

little bear didn’t get any. she got her blanket a few weeks ago, and she has about 30 pairs of jammies already. of course she was breaking my heart as every fabric i rolled out to begin cutting she looked at me and said “dis one mine mommy?”

IMG_4457_4136

they took turns sitting by my sewing machine, watching their fabric become pants. whatever they were wearing was immediately discarded in favor of soft and fuzzy fleece the instant they were done.

it was one of those times when i love being a momma.

when i remember why i’m excited for five to arrive.

i wonder if they’ll remember these things when they’re grown.

if it will influence the kind of mothers my girls become and the kind of father my son becomes.

my sewing? not too hard to figure. no deep psychoanalysis needed…my mom wasn’t a sewer. she can, but didn’t really. but i have a memory: i’m not sure how old i was~~less than 7. she got one of those pre-printed fabrics. it was a strawberry shortcake pillow/doll (a redhead! yay!) and made it for me. it was basically a shaped pillow. but i still remember it. i remember loving it. i remember that she made it. i still have it.

it gives me the warm fuzzies.

and i’m pretty sure that’s why i sew for my babies.

even when they act like goobers when i try to take their pictures.
IMG_4466_4145
IMG_4470_4149

IMG_4471_4150
IMG_4472_4151
IMG_4473_4152

i love this job.



how about you? what makes you do what you do? why are you the mom that you are today? what memory do you hold from childhood that shapes who you are today?
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. As far back as I can remember, I always had a special dress made by my mother. Whenever I'd outgrow the old one we'd get new fabric and a pattern (I think a lot of them were made from the same pattern: puffed sleeves, ruffles, flounces...it was the '80's) and I'd have a new dress. My mother even made my wedding gown.

    Now I find myself making all of Peanut's extra-special clothing. Part of my motivation is financial (it's easier to get beautiful, special occasion dresses affordably if I make them myself) but part of it is just that it's what I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh those look cozy!

    My mom wasn't really a hands-on mom. I remember her really enjoying arts & crafts but not actually doing any with her. For the most part I just played with my Barbies in my room while she did whatever it was she was doing. However, on the first day of school every year she would wake up really early and make me a special pancake breakfast - that's something I look forward to doing with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @dmcL~~i tend to make all my girl's special occasion dresses too! i always say my favorite thing to sew is princess dresses...and as much as i hate working with tulle and slippery satin and those annoying delicate fabrics, the end result is so much fun!
    @elle~~i have a hard time sitting back and allowing my kiddos to do crafts. i always want to jump in and "help"--actually--do it the way I think it should be done. i do love special food memories though. i've got A LOT of them, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Letting go and letting the kids create is hard. It gets easier the more you do it, tho. But you still got to almost bite your tongue and leave the room sometimes. The benefit: my kids LOVE crafting and are all so stinkin' creative.

    One thing I do as a mom is throw fun parties for my kids. Getting everything ready is always stressfull for me. We have 6 kids so the house is full and busy and the budget is always small. Last minute I am always thinking, "This is the last party, I just can not do this any more! Why do I do this to myself?!" But then at the party, I see all the kids faces and watch the fun and excitement and I KNOW that's why I do what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sadly remember my mom NOT fixing my stuffed animals, even though she would sew sun dresses for us three girls.

    SO: I make sure I sew the holes in puppy ears and belly's of snakes so my son can continue to snuggle!

    Here's the things I mended last year: http://bethstherapy.blogspot.com/2010/05/2-puppies-and-earth-worm-have-been.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will always remeber that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails