Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Pillow Talk

I've needed throw pillows for my bed since we repainted the room and got a new bed frame and comforter...oh, way back when I was pregnant with LittleBear. I just got stuck. But I finally found inspiration on a trip to Target when I saw these curtains:

Photobucket
(link)

I bought them with the thought of turning them into some throw pillows for the bed. It just didn't work--the white and black of the fabric didn't match the white and black of my comforter. And my comforter is a busy pattern--which was not complemented by the busy-ness of the curtain fabric. So back to the store they went. But they got my wheels turning.

I love the chandelier imagery, but I needed something simpler. And I figured I could freezer paper stencil it. (You know, I've done it once, so I'm totally a pro, right?) So after a long internet search, I finally stumbled across this site, scrapNfonts.com. They've got tons of great fonts, .png files, brush sets--random stuff that you need want for crafting/blogging/etc. I was able to get a group of 13 chandelier .png files for $1!
    ***Note--I have nothing to do with scrapNfonts.com, just sharing a resource I found on my own!

I printed out the one I like best (in gray to save ink). And I figured since I was cutting one, why not cut two?

Photobucket
(why yes, I did just staple it right to the table. I saw the staple gun before the tape)

The cutting went slowly, but it wasn't overly difficult. I didn't cut out every small space, just the ones I felt were necessary to the overall look. And ironing the stencil to my fabric wasn't as difficult as I expected, either. (Sorry I don't have any pictures--I did take some of the ironing process, but the white on white just didn't really show anything helpful) Basically, I ironed down three sides of my stencil, and then worked my way across--slowly peeling and ironing down each piece little by little.

When I was done this is what I had:

Photobucket

Two negative images to stencil, and one cut out chandelier.


I painted them with black fabric paint. The fabric I used wasn't the best, it did bleed a bit. But I'm okay with some imperfection :0)


Photobucket

The rest is simple--cut a square for the front and back, sew together, and stuff.
One chandelier pillow, as ordered:


Photobucket

Before I sewed it, I did mess around with different options--beaded trim, top stitching, ribbon. I thought at first that it needed "more". But then I remembered that the POINT of this was a simpler pillow. So it may look a touch plain all by its lonesome here on the floor, but I really like it's graphic, simple quality.
I know--you have so many questions!!!

So how does it look on my bed? I like it, alot. But I'm not done--I need more pillows. So I'll share a photo of the bed when I'm done.

What are you doing with the other stencil, and the cut-out? Ahhh...for that you must return tomorrow! I have big plans!

For part TWO click HERE!

For part THREE click HERE!
I'm linking this to:











DIY Day @ ASPTL












Photobucket



Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

UndertheTableandDreaming
Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. Oh I love this pillow and never thought to trace(cut) out the design and stencil it. Will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWWWWW!!! What a wonderful job..I Love it!! I'm Barb coming over from Tip Junkie Tues. I'm your newest Follower!!!I hope you get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well.
    Also I'm having a Link Party Monday April 12th called "My Creative Space" @ Santa's Gift Shoppe Year Round..Would love you to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sylvia--let me know how it turns out! It really wasn't as hard as I expected!

    @Santa's Gift Shoppe--too funny--I must have been checking out your pillows at the same time you were here! Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from a silly little sparrow. That is beautiful TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely delightful! job very well done! I hopped over from Today's Creative Blog and am so happy that I did. Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place one day this week when you get a moment. I have become a follower and I hope you’ll do the same. until later…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I wish I was as creative as you! I suck at crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Applause, applause! This turned out fabulous! I'm checking out that site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sandra--Thanks so much!
    @Mary Beth--I'll definitely be by to visit! Thanks so much!
    @Jessica--Come on! Anyone can do it--maybe start with a square or something simple hehehe
    @Kim--{bowing} thank you, thank you LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummm, I love this, LOVE it!
    We have a friday fun finds party- we'd love it if you'd link to this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute, cute, cute! What a cool idea for a pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a really cute pillow! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done! I love that chandelier image!!!!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  13. How creative! looks great! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you have made this look super easy to do and it turned out fabulous! Love the print and image. So creative. Thanks so much for linking up to The Sunday Showcase Party! Hope you enjoy your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's gorgeous! I almost bought that same curtain to decorate my desk but hoped I could do something like this instead.

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails