Monday, February 22, 2010

Why I hate patterns, Pt. 1

Well, I finally finished the dress I was making for Girlfriend Girl. (The one who's scraps became Little One's 2 hour dress)

I had it ready to hem and throw a zipper in it a while back, and when I had her try it on--the skirt was way to short, and the straps were way to long! Very annoying!

I took all her measurements prior to beginning, compared them to the measurements given on the pattern, and selected the appropriate size. It should have been fine. I'm not sure what went wrong.

And this is why I HATE PATTERNS

But I found some green fabric in my stash that matched the ribbon, so I basically did a longer underskirt, and tacked the straps up higher, and I'm pleased with the end result. (shhh...don't tell Simplicity)
Photobucket

Its Simplicity Pattern #2577. I made view D, but left off the ruched bodice overlay, and made the ruffles to go in its place. (I'm not really sure about that vest on the pattern though...seriously? Red? Sequins? The glasses? The hair? Who is this boy????)

Photobucket

I think its a cute design, the pockets are a cute touch (and so in right now!)
Anyway, the fabric and ribbon choice was completely hers. A girl after my own heart!

I left the hems just serged with black thread--partially to gain the extra length, partially to copy the way I left the ruffles. I like it on the patterned fabric, not so sure about the green though. Any thoughts? I may tack that up...we'll see.

Final note--Do you believe these pics? All I said was "go put on your new dress and stand by the door so I can take some pictures". And she went all "America's Next Top Model" on me! Oh boy...Tyra, honey, give me a call. We'll talk.

Photobucket

I love this child.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by our table! I love this dress and think the green under layer, adds a special somethin somethin! Of course, I'm a firm believer it's the girl that makes the dress! Beautiful!
    ~kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same thing always used to happen to me. Now I allways baste the dress together real quick and fit it first. Its always too big!

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails