Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Best

Here it is...
The final day of February.
The final day of "Celebrate the Boy" Month.
And I've finally finished.

Photobucket

Quite a stretch of the old sewing muscles (haha)--fully lined boy's dress coat with contrasting collar and elbow patches; matching suit pants; and refashioned man's sweater into a boy's sweater vest.


Photobucket


Altogether, one fine looking outfit on one fine looking Little Man.
Photobucket

Or is that just a mother's opinion? :-)

What I learned from this...
Suit coats for boys/men are just as hard to sew as you would imagine. The coat had 21 pattern pieces. 21. And once you get past the collar, it doesn't get any easier. A set in sleeve is very difficult, especially where you don't want any puckers--that's the difference between a boy's coat and a girl's puffed sleeve. But it can be done--with patience and perseverence. MUCH patience. And MUCH perseverence. (I ripped out and resewed the sleeves 6 times in total).

On the other hand, this was the first time I did zipper front pants. And you know what? They're not that hard! Really! I was truly surprised how well it went. And they fit him really well. The only issue--because I was looking for something a little more dressy than the cargo-style pants the pattern showed, I simply left the pockets off. But I realized afterwards that that left zero pockets. But I figured I could get a pass on that, considering he's only 7! (Of course, it was the first thing he noticed when he put them on this morning)

The sweater vest was inspired by Dana-Made-It's tutorial here, with my own twist (more on that later).

And the most fun part? The 70's department store catalog photo shoot we got to have to model everything...
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Awww...my little man is sooo shy, can't you tell?

Photobucket
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. get OUT! that is the most awesome handmade coat i have seen in a long long time! 21 pieces, you deserve a reward, one of those tall ones with a brass sewing machine on top! i love the fabric you chose. fantastic job, the whole thing! (and nobody has commented yet? yeesh! it's amazing!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. by "tall ones" i mean like a giant trophy. you knew that right? my excitement got in the way of me actually stringing words together so that they make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I am in awe of you and wish I could sew like you.
    I've happened upon your blog and I am surprised you haven't got like a hundred comments saying WELL DONE cos you deserve it.
    From Sharon quietly jealous in the UK xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing!!! I wish more boys would walk around like this! Best wishes from Germany, Jan

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails