Monday, April 16, 2012

the middle.

yesterday was a big day for this one.

IMG_9999_9060

the last cast came off. we picked up two new braces: a small one for day time wear, and a big one for night time.

her “magic shoes” ;)

.

two weeks ago she had an MRI, the results of which were normal. basically ava’s stubborn foot has her doctor stumped. a clubfoot is a tricky beast—wanting to return to it’s original position as the foot grows. by 7 or 8 it should be more stable—less likely to relapse. ava’s is not. it continues to relapse, faster and faster between each round of casting. and we don’t really know why.

that last cast was itchy. it was irritating. she has a sore on her heel where the last two casts were rubbing and it was painful. we are so, sooo happy it’s done. and so i planned on celebrating the cast removal—i told ava to think about something fun she wanted to do. it was just her and i and the baby all day.

.

here’s where i go on a tangent…

(future ava: when you read this, please know this post is a proof of how much i love you—that i’m so concerned i turned to the internet, which is obviously the most logical place for child rearing information)
of all my kids, ava is the one i have the hardest time relating to. 
i. just. don’t. get. her.

i love her—i love her humor and easy-going spirit. her spunk and her freckly nose. i love that she only likes vanilla ice cream and doesn’t care for sweets and isn’t ashamed of it.

but when i ask her what she wants to eat? she doesn’t know. pizza? burgers? chinese? hibachi? buffet? mac & cheese? salad? pancakes? le bec fin? she DOESN’T KNOW.
what do you want to do? shop? museum? movies? park? she DOESN’T KNOW. the only thing she could come up with was roller skating—not exactly the best activity for a girl just out of 5 weeks of casts.

it’s enough to make a momma pull her hair out in frustration. i gritted my teeth and smiled and tried to suggest, gently, that she choose something—ANYTHING—before our entire day out was a bust. in the end we ate pizza. a trip to south street for slices that take 2 hands to hold. and then we spent almost 2 hours wandering the aisles at target. a choice between 3 different littlest pet shops was a 15 minute ordeal, complete with multiple rounds of eenie meenie miney moe.

.

i’m trying. i don’t want to feel this disconnect with any one of my children. i don’t want her to be lost in the shuffle. i am determined that even with a big family my children will know they are loved and appreciated for who they are as individuals, and not just one of the herd.
only…i find myself saying more and more “she’s the middle child”—with that eyeroll that says “you know what that means”.

but do you? do i?

i looked up some things about birth order. ava is the middle child of five—two older siblings, two younger. i on the the other hand am the oldest child.
well now. right there it seems we have an issue. when i view myself in that light—as the oldest child to her middle status, instead of as mother/daughter, i can see where some of our differences come from.

and then i stumbled on this:

The Third Born:

  • has the challenge of overcoming the criticism of the second born by being strong and aggressive.
  • is acquainted with feeling vulnerable and can be clingy.
  • is strongly angered when put-down.
  • thinks in comparative ways, giving rise to new ideas and even practical inventions.
  • is sympathetic with others who are vulnerable and very protective.
  • has challenges being cooperative with others due to having to survive by being rebellious.

(source)

i read this to jeremy, giggling the whole time—because if you had to sum up our miss ava…well, this is probably how you’d do it.

strong and aggressive, yet vulnerable and clingy. angered and sympathtic. comparative, but not cooperative. these blends of seemingly opposing qualities—these are what make up our ava.

my mom is the middle of five, too. just thought i’d throw that in there. and yes, they have a very good relationship.

so what do i do with all my newfound knowledge? okay, so it’s not really new. it’s things i already knew about my girl. but seeing them down in black and white reminds me.

it reminds me that when i’m frustrated with her, there is so much wonderful and good in her. so many beautiful qualities that can be nurtured and encouraged. it reminds me that we all have our faults—firstborns aren’t perfect either. (i know, i was shocked too)
it reminds me that this is the child that laid patiently in a loud and claustrophobic MRI machine for an hour, doing--in the words of the technician--"better than most adults". it reminds me this is the child that the doctor again today said how sweet she is, and how she's so easy to work on. unlike so many other kids (who we hear yelling up and down the halls while we wait).

but here’s the thing: of everything i read, the real eye opener wasn’t birth order or personality traits or anything like that. it was this:

IMG_9999_9060 
.

there’s no denying that. birth order and everything else (including hair color) aside--that right there is my girl.

Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. I'm an oldest child of two. And I don't know about the other personality traits that your lovely daughter might have, but I had the same "I don't know" answer to everything, even to this day. I'm just generally indecisive, to add to the fun of it, my fiance is the same. You should see how long it takes us to order food! :D I end up going with my old favourites, and he ends up trying something new and we share.

    But I digress. As a child when it came to what I wanted to eat, the reasoning behind it was that I wanted everyone to be happy getting their choice of food, so I said I didn't know to avoid having another option to choose from.

    When it came to places/things to do my usual answer was because I was just happy being taken wherever and enjoying the company I had, that it didn't matter where I was.

    I even didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up, still don't.

    I'm sure all this has frustrated and still frustrates my mom too, so she just ends up making the decisions for me, and I don't mind it most of the time, unless I have an opinion about something.

    But I guess I'm just easy going and generally happy to be where I am, doing whatever I'm doing. And by your daughter's smiles I can see she is too :)

    PS: sorry for the long post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @quirkypink- interesting. But I'm the same way--I think the difference is motivation. An oldest is inherently a people pleaser. We don't want anyone to be unhappy, so we can't make a choice. I don't think that's what's happening with Ava. Even when the decision affects her alone (I.e. picking a toy) she's stumped. But is it better to make the decisions for her? Or force her to make one herself? That's where I'm torn....
      Thanks for you thoughts!

      Delete
  2. I have a 6 year old who had a huge problem with saying "i don't know" it was so frustrating. When I looked in her eyes she looked so empty, she seemed happy she played and smiled, but something seemed off. I felt really disconnected from her and that she was kind of shutting down. I can now happly say we have our relationship back it took about 6 months and alot of work but it so nice to see her so full and happy. I'm not saying this is the same as what your dealing with but just that I understand that feeling of frustration in not getting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @number 25-thanks for sharing! Is there anything specific you did you can tell me about?

      Delete
  3. I just realized something too.....
    Ava and Jesse get along pretty good (favorite status)...and your mom and Jesse get along (mostly) well...and your mom and Ava get along well. I see a trend. Maybe Ava will be your 'Jesse'...hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re Kate's comment...one can only hope.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Know the feeling of being in the middle, you're not the first born, you're not the baby, you're just....not so special...at least that's the way I felt, but that's ok, you grow up not requiring a lot of attention, and being a pretty well adjusted adult, IMHO, anyway I love that one with all my heart
    Ps ....I took her to wawa the other day and told her to pick out a treat. It was rough

    Big mommom

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am definitely an offender of the "i don't know" response. it's my default answer, even when i do know. it's driven my mom crazy over the years and has led to an unfortunate disconnect- because she's never tried to understand why i say it. instead she's mocked me and even told me i sound stupid, leaving me silent in response to most things she asked me for a decent part of my childhood. i'm not sure what your daughter's reasoning is, and she may not be either, but for me it's always been due to anxiety and a lack of self-confidence. i was either concerned i would make the wrong decision, or that i would sound silly saying what was really on my mind. in reality, neither of those things were likely to be true but it never eliminated the irrational fear. sorry if this is no help at all, just trying to speak from "the other side." :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. (same anon as above)
    i was a lot like number 25's daughter. my inability to choose stemmed from a belief that my opinions were insignificant. which leads me to answering your question- force her into decision making. choosing for her will only feed the habit (she'll be unlikely to speak up even if she disagrees with your choice) it will be very uncomfortable for her and i imagine painful for you, but in the long run (and the grand scheme of life) it will really benefit her to know that her personal decisions are the most important ones in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been an "I don't know" or "I don't care" type my entire life, and I'm the youngest of just two. It might not make any sense, but most of the time I honestly don't have a strong opinion about things like where to eat or what to do.

    Part of the eating aspect might be that I'm a pretty picky eater and don't enjoy food that much, so when choosing a restaurant, everywhere sounds equally "meh". If I happen to have a craving for something, I'll speak up. But most of the time, I just feel totally neutral. I think I must drive my husband crazy with my indifference! (Now ask me to choose a dessert and that's a whole different story! Sweets I enjoy.)

    I remember going through bouts of this with my mom, where she would start listing off the options. "How about this? Or this? Or this?" and it mostly just made me feel bad for not having an opinion, and didn't help. It wasn't that I didn't have any ideas, it was that all choices seemed equal and neutral.

    Maybe, for example, if you're in a food-choosing situation, you could make sort of a game out of it by writing down a list of possible places and having her pick one at random with her eyes closed. That way the choice is sort of half made by her and half for her (and most importantly, it is made!). I would just recommend trying not to seem like you're annoyed that she's taking too long, or that she seems not to have an opinion. Instead, maybe come from an understanding perspective. "It's hard to choose sometimes, isn't it? It's okay to pick one at random if you don't have a preference!"

    As for toys and things like that, she might be taking a long time to analyze the pros and cons of each option and make the optimal choice. Even I liked new stuff as a kid, but if you tell me I can only get one thing out of a whole shelf of seemingly equally-amazing items, it's going to be a tough choice! I'm trying to get past this after learning about the "paradox of choice" studies that have been done, finding that people who make quick decisions on purchases are usually happier with their choice than people who deliberated and compared extensively.

    I wouldn't worry that there is something wrong with her indecisiveness. I'm indecisive about many things, but that doesn't mean I don't have a passion or zest for life in other areas. She might just be a go-with-the-flow type of kid. If on-the-spot decision-making situations aren't working for her, you might be able to keep an ear out for if she expresses interest in some activity, food, or item spontaneously and act on it then (if possible) while she's in the mood for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just stumbled onto your blog (from Young House Love), but I had to comment because I so relate to this post! I'm a youngest child and have the same problem with always saying "I don't no" - for a number of reasons! Generally, like quirkypink, I am happy doing anything, so if someone wants to make a decision, it's fine with me. It's also because of being a people-pleaser - since I assume someone else cares more than I do, I'm happy to go along with what they want, and wouldn't want to choose wrongly, so to speak. But I'm also just generally indecisive. For all of these reasons, I'm fine with someone else making a decision; if I have a strong opinion, I will speak up. And if I don't speak up, it's because I don't care that much. In fact, I would generally not be unhappy with any of the choices, I'd just rather not have to decide!

    My mom is actually the same way, which makes things so much harder. Whenever we're together, it takes twice as long to figure out what to do/where to eat, etc. than it takes to actually do it! My friend has a saying for whenever people are sitting around being indecisive - "let's do something, even if it's wrong," and I try to keep that in mind, because struggling with a decision is so much worse than a "wrong decision" (whatever we do/wherever we eat always ends up being fun!).

    I actually have a number of friends who are the same way (maybe indecisive people are drawn to indecisive people...? Ha.) We used to get together for dinner or appetizers once a week - and if it was appetizers, as you can imagine, we could never decide what to order. We eventually turned it into a (sanity saving) game - we'd go around and each eliminate one thing from the list that we didn't want, until one person was left with the final choice of two options, had to make it, and everyone was happy. It saved a lot of time; instead of a half hour of "I don't know," we went straight to the game and enjoyed our meal. I know having many choices can also become overwhelming to people, so when small decisions become a stumbling block, it always gets very frustrating, but I've found that finding ANY way past it that works is satisfying, because it's never the ultimate decision that causes a problem; it's simply the deciding. But I know how problematic it can be, so I hope you find something that works for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails