Thursday, November 11, 2010

for millie-mom

heritage is a funny thing, isn't it?

some people are strongly tied to their cultural roots. it permeates everything they do, the way they think, the way they speak.

others (like me) are a mishmash--so completely mixed up in a cultural "melting pot" that it's almost a blender.

but every once in a while, something springs out--something that brings you back. the way you say a word, a phrase you use...a meal you enjoy...

when i was young, a highlight of visiting grandma & grandpa (on my mom's side)--you could always be guaranteed grandma would spend time standing in front of the stove--churning out thick, salty, buttery matzo brei.

she'd keep making and making...we'd keep eating and eating.

i have no idea how many boxes she'd go through when there was a bunch of us there.

i know some of my cousins read this...and i know you're all drooling now thinking about it :o)

now, i make it for my family...




and they love it.


i wish i could explain to you how good it is. i'm not a sweet breakfast kind of gal. i prefer my french toast with salt and butter, my bagels with cream cheese, and my cheerios plain.
so matzo...perfection.

want to make some for yourself? trust me, it's worth it.

(matzo is easy to find anymore. most major food stores have it in the kosher/ethnic section. and around passover you can usually get the 5 lb package for free with a coupon! woo-hoo!)

millie's matzo
take your matzo crackers, and break them up in a bowl. 

add some water to cover, and let it sit for a few minutes to soften. you don't want cracker mush--but you don't want any hard edges.

drain the water, and add beaten eggs and salt. some recipes call for 1 egg to every 1 cracker. i go with 1 egg for every 2 crackers. it's really about preference.

heat a fry pan over medium heat and coat with butter.

add your matzo/egg mix and flatten into a big patty. not too thin, not too thick :0)

cook until lightly browned on the bottom. flip and cook until the other side is lightly browned also.

cut in wedges, top with more butter, and enjoy.

you can also try this recipe.


yup, heritage is a funny thing. my grandmother was jewish, so i guess that makes me a quarter jew (ya know, like harrison ford)...but it still comes out sometimes.

although, not completely...because with the matzo we had...


:o)
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Started crying as soon as I ready the Title!! and YES, I was drooling..love it! Gotta have me some Matzo Brei!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont forget, sweet breakfast lovers (whoever they may be) can put syrup on their matzo. Or ketchup the way grampa used to eat it (what do Italians know about eating?!!) Any way you slice it,,, i have never made it for ANYONE who didn't taste it and get this look on their face that said "UMMMMM". By the way, I saw moonstrips in Acme the other day--the kind grandma used to use, with the poppy seed and onion flavor, (not for passover use) I add my own onion powder and poppy seeds if I dont have moonstrips. Enjoy!!!(to be said with jewish mother sing-song voice) Ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh delicious!!! i want some right now!! you dont add any garlic or onion powder??

    ReplyDelete
  4. My granny (and thus my mom and I) make matzo brei with all the pieces of matzo broken up, so it ends up looking more like scrambled eggs.

    I freakin' LOVE this stuff! Either we do it with the oniony matzo, or with plain and then top it off with maple syrup.

    Gotta love some good ol' Yiddish cuisine. :)

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails