Friday, September 24, 2010

ruffled tank tutorial

our local old navy store is having it's half-off clearance sale! YAY! which means you can score things like this:





for half off this:




 woo-hoo--less than $1 for a cute tank!


so i bought two of them. hmm...what to do, what to do??? i love the stripes, but let's face it. i don't know about you girls, but horizontal stripes and i aren't exactly friends--if ya know what i'm sayin'. momma needs something that's a little more, shall we say, slimming?


so here's what i did:


i cut off the neckline of my 2nd tank, and cut the rest in wide bias strips.




once i opened the stripey strips out this is what they looked like:






i ruffled the top edge of all (most) of them. then i found the center point of my tank.





 and began attaching my ruffled strips--i started with the longest strip around the neckline, and centered the point.






channel your inner dory..."just keep sewing, just keep sewing, just keep sewing sewing sewing", starting with the biggest strip and working your way down to your smallest, centering the point of each one on the center of your tank. (i didn't use ALL the strips--i just kept adding until i was happy)


eventually you have this:



i love how it looks. and i especially love the price! but i am apparently unable to take a decent picture of myself wearing my new shirt! :o( trust me, this was the best of about 30 tries, inside, outside, flash, no flash, in the mirror, self-timer....gah!




so you'll just have to imagine:



shoot, i look guuuud. ;o)

linking up at these fine parties head over and check them out for some more great ideas!
Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment about my miniature bedroom!!! :)
    Love,

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out BEAUTIFUL!
    You should come link it up to my Making It With Allie Party!
    Allie
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. googie! that's so cute. and i hear those sort of ruffles are very 'anthropologie' but i wouldn't know such things from personal experience...

    but lovely shirt! super cute, great tute. and insanely good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! And so simple. Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do look good! Love that tank! Just found you and hope you will come by and visit me. I host a linky on fridays and would love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out so pretty!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-pretty-ruffled-tank/2010/09/26/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's adorable! Did you sew the ruffles on with a sewing machine or did you hand sew them on?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the ruffles! Great idea and can't beat the price!!! Yippee for good deals!! :o) Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! I just wanted to say hi and that I loove your blog! You are too funny and I love the fun projects you do...especially this ruffled top! I am going to have to get me to an Old Navy! :D

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. yep, still cute.

    as for the name thing not fitting, i made a new template and set it to the highest width this week. it's so annoying that it doesn't fit!

    but thanks for trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is splendid! What a fabulous, fun idea!

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails