Thursday, July 22, 2010

nurturing creativity

here's much excitement in the googiehaus.


this sunday the googie cousins arrive for their annual summer visit.


one of the highlights is a present exchange between all the cousins.


we've been working on (what we think) is a cool gift for their two girl cousins, ages 12 and 8.


it started with this:


and then we added this:





a box full of treasures
 we took a paper mache box and covered it with three coordinating papers, all mod podged on. the letters were stickers from the dollar store, also mod podged on.


inside...



all the sewing basics:
scissors
sew on velcro
pins, marking pens, fabric glue, tape measure, ruler
trims, appliques, thread

also, a selection of pretty fabrics, chosen for their pattern and ease of sew-ability (totally a word)



and some super easy patterns sized for an American Girl Doll (or any similar sized doll)




it all fits neatly into the little box



ready and waiting to unleash a world of creativity and self-expression through the medium of fabric :0)




what do you think? will they love it? we hope so! i know my girls keep sighing over it, wishing it was for them! (i feel a little like a bad bad mommy right now!)



Linking up to THESE fine parties!!
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. What an AWESOME gift!
    I love all the details that you have put into everything.
    I'm SO impressed! :)

    Thanks for the sweet compliments on my pantry post.
    It is SO nice to finally have done.
    PLEASE DON'T HATE ME! hahah jk.
    Know that, that pantry came along with LOTS of underbreath cursing and tantrums.
    lol.
    ~Shelley
    houseofsmiths.blogspot.com
    wonderfullywordy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww shannon this is so sweet. and close to my heart.. i've been working on a post about kids' first sewing projects so all that you wrote about, the little kit and nurturing creativity and so on, has all been on my mind lately.

    i think the googie cousins will love it. and the googie kids need their own too, it seems ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift. My grandmother did a similar thing for me when I was about 8 or 9!! I still love to sew so it really got me started off on the right foot. I did NOT do this for my daughter and she doesn't sew yet, but she is a mad hot gluer and vinyl lovin freak.

    Thanks for visiting us at The Paisley Cupcake. We have only been up and going 1 month and have made some great blogging friends. Thanks!!

    ~jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sighing over these. I would love to learn to sew. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet gift! they are sure to love it : )

    btw thanks for your kind comments on my desk makeover post. have fun with your daughter's room redo!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a thoughtful gift! I'm sure they will love it! Thanks for stopping by a dash of parsley!

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails