Friday, June 18, 2010

i'm hot for teacher

Did you ever meet someone briefly or in an odd situation and think "In a different situation, I would totally be friends with you!"

No? Just me? :0)


That's how I feel about alot of the teachers at my kid's school.

I'm very close in age to some of them...they have kids of their own the same ages as my children~~or even younger.

But there's still that teacher dynamic. We're peers--age-wise, life-style wise...but as soon as I walk in that classroom, I'm an 8 year old student.

Maybe it's the tiny chairs they make you sit in.

Case in point: When I had LittleBear, Boy's teacher gave us an adorable little outfit for her. It was so sweet. And then I had to write a thank you note. What do I write? "Thanks Mrs. S____?" It seemed so weird!

I ended up overcomplicating it (as per my usual M.O.) and wrote "Thanks J___" with an asterisk leading to a long winded explanation of my confusion over whether to put her first name or Mrs. S_____, and how I hoped she wasn't offended by my use of her first name....like it's some kind of state secret.

They call me "Mrs. K____"...but I don't think of myself as "Mrs. K____". I'm Shannon. I want to tell them that. But then again, I'm only 8 when I'm with them. 

Oy.

So at the end of the year, the list of teachers and support people we want to give gifts too gets longer and longer (ya know, since we're besties and all)

I let each of my kids pick one additional teacher (besides their main teacher) to give a small gift to.

We ended up with the secretary, the art teacher (who was MY art teacher in elementary school and that just ADDS to the confusion!) and the librarian.

For those three I made small leather clutches. (You can read my post about the teacher's bags I made here)

In their honor, I present:

"The Secretary"

Photobucket

I LOVE this one. The soft black leather...the lining fabric...the ruffle...TOO cute.

Photobucket


Photobucket


"The Artist"
Photobucket



How awesome is this black & white fabric? I gave this one two straps--one to hold the bag, and one with a key ring on it.
(and apparently forgot to take a good photo of the whole bag. huh. sorry about that.)Photobucket

"The Reader"
(sorry about the stinky lighting here...I made this one on a different day and couldn't get good shots because it was so overcast outside!!!)

Photobucket

Photobucket


This wouldn't have been my first choice of fabric. But I couldn't say no~~the kids were flipping over this because it says "Reading is toad'ally cool!" They NEEDED it for the library teacher. So I did a ruffled strap, so as not to...(ahem)overwhelmwith this print.


Photobucket

I have a feeling these may be showing up in the Etsy shop in the next few weeks!!!

Linking up to some of these fine parties!
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, those are adorable clutches. I've never tried leather before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great. My mom is a kindergarten teacher, and it's always fun to be out with her in public and have a student and her/his parents come up to us. They always say "Well there's Mrs. H___." And I always think to myself, "Do they say that so their kids will call her that? Or because they find it weird to call her her real name?" And since she works with so many teachers and are friends with them, I find it weird to call them anything but their "teacher name." So I have a hard time saying, "Hey, Jane!" when it's been "Mrs. Doe" for years. :)

    All that to say, it's weird on the other side too.

    Found you from frugal friday.

    xoxo,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chris~Thanks so much!
    @Kimberly~LOL! Too funny! Good to know it's not just in my head! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those clutches look awesome! I'm SO not a sewer, but I'm going to have to come over here more often and see how you do it.
    Thank you so much for the sweet comment you left about my headboard project. Comments make my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful gift. I love that the insides are so cute too!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids are all grown, youngest is ready to head off for her Soph. year at Texas Tech. I had the same feelings about their teachers when they were in elementary school, know what? two of them are now my best friends. Your kids teachers will love their bags, my girlfriends have boxes!! of lotion and candles. Good luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails