Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Debugging

Last week I laid LittleBear down on the carpet in her bedroom to change her diaper.

She felt something tickling her neck, reached behind her and pulled up a stink bug.

Do you know of these stink bugs? Around here, they are a plague. They are stupid, they fly, they're everywhere. They're also harmless (I think), but fairly big (think beetle sized).

LittleBear's reaction?

The Scream Pictures, Images and Photos

Instant insane hysteria.
Words can not begin to describe the trauma. She cried for TWO days. She would be sitting quietly, and suddenly remember, and begin crying again. I had no idea that an 18 month old's recall and short term memory could last that longAny spot, large or small, from the ceiling to the floor to a spot on my shirt or a smudge on her leg would have her in absolute hysterics again.


She learned a new word, and began running around the house crying "BUG", pointing at the ceiling.

A week later a housefly flew past her in the hallway and she ran to me, crying and clinging as if her life depended on it.

Thus began our Bug Desensitization Program (B.D.P.)

Phase I of the B.D.P. involved drawings of bugs with happy faces.
Photobucket

See the happy buggies?

Photobucket

Then we proceeded on to bugs of a slightly more threatening ilk:

Photobucket

Ooooh, angry buggies....but it's okay, right?

Phase II: A nice little stuffed buggy. More realistic than the drawings, but not moving.

We look, we touch, we kiss.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Depending on your patient's progress at this point, you can ease into it a little further. Perhaps a viewing of "A Bug's Life". Bugs teamed with anthropomorphism--a sure fire desensitization technique.

My patient was responding well, so we proceeded directly into:

Phase III: A trip outside to visit the buggies. Slowly, slowly...baby steps (literally). We watched actual, living buggies from afar.

Phase IV: A large step: we said "hi" to the buggies. Acknowledging their existence. Interaction on a human to bug level.

Progress is slow and steady with the B.D.P., folks. Slow and steady.

Finally, a landmark day. An actual stinkbug flying around in the house. It lands on the counter. This is it, here we go.

Ultimate intervention time: touching the buggy.

We breathe deep. It takes a few tries. LittleBear was brave, but her hand twitched. She tried, but pulled her hand back in fear. Finally, after seeing Mommy touch the bug a few times, she gathered her courage, and success!

Yes, the B.D.P. has been a success my friends.
 And I am the proud parent of a bug loving baby.

Photobucket

(Please ignore the film of snot and mac & cheese surrounding her face. I'm actually a good mom, pinky swear)

However, as with any gains in life, there are always rebounds.
Ripple effects, if you will: some good, some bad.

In this case? Well, LittleBear is weaning. It's time, it's hard, but we're doing it. She has a dependancy. And we're going slow. Today she lifted my shirt and looked, but no drinking.

She "ugged" them (hugged).

She pointed to her source of food and comfort for the last 18+ months.

"Bug", she said.
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. ok so this is embarrassing but thankfully u don't know me. yikes...

    i have freakin WATER BIGS in my house!!!! it's so gross. they're just like roaches but like 20 times BIGGER!!! thanks ocean...bleck!

    sits

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry but I laughed at the "evil" bug drawing. Little Bear reminds me of my Emily. Who also breastfed for a looong time (15 months and was only weaned because I was pregnant again).
    But still YAY Little Bear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @HunDuddle~~LOL!!! I've had a water bug or 2 in the past...gulp. Okay, if it makes you feel any better--last week Little Man came screaming from his room--THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY ROOM!!! Sure enough. Snake. IN. MY. HOUSE. Yeah, so...I see your waterbugs and raise you a snake. Beat that.
    (oh, and it was a garter snake I think. and no, we never found it. Wanna come over?)

    @FoxyMoron~~Oh yeah, evil bugs are my specialty. I may sell that drawing on Etsy. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Admirable efforts. Nothing worked for my kids, though. Arming them with effin' big fly swatters was a little more successful. Mostly they just stayed inside from ages one to eight, though. Kidding. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliance! I am terrified of spiders and this progam may work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I laughed, I cried, I applauded both your efforts!! AND the totally entertaining method in which the tale was told!! Though I admit, I too have resorted to the far lazier method of haanding them a swatter....LOL...though I do distinguish between "good" bugs we don't smuck & "bitey" bugs we smuck the crap out of....

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! Wow, I admire your patience & creativity. Like some of these other ladies, I'm also pretty lazy about getting rid of the bugs lingering around our laundry room. We get out the old shop vac & suck those bad boys up. Probably works better with a little boy (who is also obsessed with vacuums:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, it was NOT all for fun that I embarked on this little "adventure". She seriously developed a phobia--like a neurotic, screaming, insane phobia of bugs or anything remotely bug-like. I am soooo not paying for THAT therapy. Clearly I'm totally qualified to handle it myself.
    Necessity is the mother of invention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two days? That's totally something I would have pulled as a child. She's lucky to have a mom who made her such a nifty certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really quite funny. My youngest still FLIPS out over any bug. We had to leave a park once because there was an ant on the slide. Of course, I feel the same way about spiders.
    Smiling over the longer term nursing. Good for you. You wouldn't even want to know my tally....I've lost track.

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails